‘Ghosts Along the Zanja’ is the subject of the Redlands Area Historical Society – Redlands Daily Facts
Marie Reynolds will perform “Ghosts Along the Zanja” when the Redlands Area Historical Society meets at 7 p.m. on Monday, October 24 at the Contemporary Club, 173 S. Eureka St., Redlands.
The program is free and open to the public.
Historical Society Board Member Reynolds will present a slide show following Mill Creek Zanja from its source above Greenspot to Cottonwood Row (Mission Road) in Loma Linda.
Mill Creek Zanja is an irrigation ditch dug by Native Americans in 1819 to divert water from Mill Creek to the estancia, a ranch outpost of Mission San Gabriel. (The estancia was rebuilt on Barton Road in the early 20th century and is now called the Asistencia.)
The communities of Crafton, Mentone, Lugonia, Redlands and Bryn Mawr developed along the banks of the Zanja, and the area’s early businesses and industries took advantage of the nearby water.
The Zanja is California’s Registered Monument No. 43, and the Zanja from Sylvan Boulevard to Mill Creek Road was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977, according to a news release.
The Historical Society’s wheelchair tour along the Zanja will include lost structures and stories of the lives — and deaths — of people who occupied them long ago, according to the press release.
The program will also be available on Zoom. To register for the Zoom presentation, go to us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_hQy-t0URQ_yz_TeCnGqVVw.
For more information about the Redlands Area Historical Society and its programs, go to rahs.org.